Is there any regional bias to the Vancouver election candidates? I took the postal codes from the candidates nomination papers and mapped them.
Here are a few interesting tidbits I noticed.
- NPA mayoral candidate Kirk LaPointe lives on the UBC Endowment Lands, so he can’t actually vote for himself (a detail the Straight already noticed).
- For the main parties, their heaviest concentration of candidates are in the same areas their supporters live, unsurprisingly.
- Vision and COPE’s candidates are mostly from Kitsilano and East Vancouver.
- The majority of the NPA’s candidates are from the west-side (12), only 4 are from East Van, and 4 are from the downtown peninsula.
- Vancouver 1st is running 12 candidates, evenly spread out throughout the city, though none are from the downtown peninsula.
- The vast majority of the independent candidates live in East Van, including a number from the DTES.
- For comparison, I also mapped the candidates during the 2011 election.
Mayor and City Councillors
Park Commissioners and School Trustees